Cotyledon tomentosa ‘Bear’s Paw’
Cotyledon tomentosa ‘Bear’s Paw’ is named for the unique shape of its thick leaves. For example, each leaf is a round, pudgy shape and is covered with a thin fuzz or “fur”. Leaves are green, however, multiple tiny red or burgundy points form at the top. These exotic leaves truly do resemble a bear’s paw.
Miniature light pink, red, or cream colored flowers blossom during the summer. Furthermore, Cotyledon tomentosa ‘Bear’s Paw’ grows to become a small shrub about 15” tall and 20” wide.
This succulent originated in Cape Province, South Africa and therefore can tolerate mild heat and sun. For example, plant it in bright shade or partial sun to ensure that it does not get sunburned in excessive heat. Water every 1-2 weeks depending on the weather. In other words, allow the soil to dry completely between waterings.
Cotyledon tomentosa ‘Bear’s Paw’ is sensational in xeriscapes and succulent gardens and is additionally a lovely houseplant.
However, when planting indoors, ensure that the succulent receives consistent bright light and that the container has drainage holes. Do not overwater as soil may not dry as quickly indoors as it does outdoors. Cotyledon tomentosa ‘Bear’s Paw’ will rot and become susceptible to disease when in moist soil for long periods of time.
- Names and Synonyms: Cotyledon tomentosa
- Common Names: Bear’s Paw
- Family: Crassulaceae
- Origin: Cape Province, South Africa
- Size Label: 1 Gallon
- Height: 15″
- Width: 20″
- Cold Tolerance: 20 to 50°F; -6.7 to 10°C
- Heat Tolerance: Mild
- Light Requirement: Partial sun or bright shade.
- Water needs: Drought tolerant. To clarify, water infrequently and ensure that soil has completely dried in between waterings.
- Maintenance: Remove dead leaves and repot containers every couple of years.
- Uses: Brings whimsical, colorful interest to succulent or cactus gardens and xeriscapes.
- Propagation: The best propagation methods are via cuttings or seeds from the flowers. However, it can propagate through leaves.
- Problems: Fragile leaves.
- Special notes: Leaves are covered in fuzz or “fur”.
There is a minimum purchase for online orders and consequently orders must have at least 4 plants of any types. All plants are shipped bare root, however other sizes may be available for pick up from our growing grounds in Fallbrook, CA. For more information, give us a call at 760-990-4762.
Click here for complete Price List.