I’ve been growing succulents for over 30 years now. Though I haven’t logged the exact number of hours, sometimes I feel like a plant slave or horticulture zombie because I spend so much of my time caring for them and moving them around. I started Serra Gardens Landscape Succulents because I had so many plants. I either had to sell them or throw them away.
Why do I do it? Plants can be very persuasive. Though I’d like to tell you it’s not against my will, there is a possibility I’m laboring under some kind of botanical Stockholm Syndrome — that I’ve fallen in love with my captors!
However it happens, succulents have me under their spell. I’m simply drawn to them. I seem to have a mysterious line of communication with them. It’s a relationship…I care for them and they reveal their secrets.
How do you know if succulents have taken over your life? Here are five tell-tale signs
- You have more succulents than you have space for (and you keep buying or propagating more).
- If you run out of potting soil, you can always scoop some up from the floor of your car.
- You can’t pass a nursery without going in (just for a minute).
- You turn down invitations from humans because your plants really need some attention.
- When you’re not caring for actual plants, you spend time on plant-related social media, websites and blogs like this one.