Crassula arborescens ‘Silver Dollar’
Crassula arborescens, also known as Silver Dollar Jade or the Money Plant, is multi-stemmed shrub with round, brightly colored leaves. A unique shade of silvery green, these leaves are additionally edged with a lovely magenta stripe. Furthermore, mature plants reach about 4 feet in height and 3 to 4 feet in width.
Especially heat and drought tolerant, Crassula arborescens ‘Silver Dollar’ consequently requires little water. Leaves will become more pink in extreme heat however. Additionally, these leaves develop small burgundy dots called hydathodes that help the plant to absorb moisture from dew. Plant in full sun or partial shade.
These plants are easy to grow and therefore difficult to kill. However, the most common cause of death for Crassula arborescens is overwatering. Be sure to water infrequently and therefore allow the soil to completely dry between waterings. Large shrubs planted in the ground may not require irrigation.
If planting in a container, ensure that the container has proper drainage. In addition, repot the plant every couple of years with fresh dirt.
Silver Dollar Jade can grow successfully indoors if the plant receives enough bright light. Stems consequently have a tendency to stretch out and become leggy in lower-light habitats.
1 gallon and 5 gallon specimens are available for pick up in the nursery only. However, cuttings are available for nursery pick up as well as mail order.
- Names and Synonyms: Crassula arborescens
- Common Names: Silver Dollar, Chinese Jade, Silver Dollar Jade, Silver Jade, Money Plant
- Family: Crassulaceae
- Origin: Cape of South Africa
- Size Label: 1 Gallon (nursery pick up only), 5 gallon (nursery pick up only), Cuttings (mail order or nursery pick up)
- Height: 3-4′
- Width: 3-4′
- Cold Tolerance: 25 to 50°F; -3.9 to 10°C
- Heat Tolerance: High
- Light Requirement: Full sun to light shade.
- Water needs: Very drought tolerant and large shrubs in the ground may not require irrigation. However, when watering, water infrequently and ensure that soil has completely dried in between waterings.
- Maintenance: Remove dead leaves, prune if Crassula arborescens ‘Silver Dollar’ gets too large.
- Uses: Brings color and volume to cactus gardens and xeriscapes.
- Propagation: Propagate via cuttings, division, or individual leaves.
- Special notes: Silver Dollar Jade may be mildly poisonous if digested.
Shipping & Availability
There is a minimum purchase for online orders and consequently orders must have at least 4 plants of any types. All plants are shipped bare root, however other sizes may be available for pick up from our growing grounds in Fallbrook, CA. For more information, give us a call at 760-990-4762.
Click here for complete Price List.